To apply for a taxi driver's licence, you must have held a full driving licence for a minimum period of 12 months.
Taxi driver licences are renewed annually, 'hackney carriage' on 1 June and 'private hire' on 1 November. You can apply at any time of year, however, there is no reduction for licences issued part way through the year.
Applications normally take 6 to 8 weeks to process, depending the Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) and how long you take to pass the written knowledge test.
Taxi driver's licence application process
The application process for new taxi drivers is:
- read the taxi driver application guidance notes
- complete and pass a private hire or hackney carriage driving assessment from either of these 2 approved providers: Blue Trust or Green Penny (please note that Green Penny also provides a wheelchair assessment).
- complete the taxi driver and vehicle licence application form
- arrange an appointment with our taxi licensing team
At your appointment with our taxi licensing team you will:
- submit your DSA pass certificate and taxi driver's licence application form together
- present your original driving licence (not a copy)
- provide two recent passport photos
- complete a DBS 'disclosure form'
- provide identity documents (we'll tell you which are acceptable when you arrange your appointment)
- pay the £44 disclosure form fee (by bank card)
Written knowledge test
As part of the application process you'll need to pass a 'written knowledge test' on the city of York:
- we'll contact you about the date, time and venue of your test
- the written knowledge test costs £18
- test guidance is available within the taxi driver application guidance notes
You'll be required to undertake a medical to DVLA Group two medical standard - our taxi licensing team will provide you with a form.
This process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- our taxi licensing team will be in contact with you regularly to keep you up-to-date
Find out about renewing your licence.