To apply for a taxi driver's licence, you must have held a full driving licence for a minimum period of 12 months.
Taxi driver licences are renewed annually, 'hackney carriage' on 1 June and 'private hire' on 1 November. You can apply at any time of year, however, there is no reduction for licences issued part way through the year.
Applications normally take 6 to 8 weeks to process, depending on how long your Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check takes to process and how long you take to pass the written knowledge test.
Find out about renewal of hackney carriage and private hire drivers' licences.
Taxi driver's licence application process
The application process for new taxi drivers is:
- read the taxi driver application guidance notes
- complete and pass a private hire or hackney carriage driving assessment from either of these 2 approved providers: Blue Trust or Green Penny (please note that Green Penny also provides a wheelchair assessment).
- complete the taxi driver and vehicle licence application form
- arrange an appointment with our Taxi Licensing Team
At your appointment with our Taxi Licensing Team you will:
- submit your DSA pass certificate and taxi driver's licence application form together
- present your original driving licence (not a copy)
- provide two recent passport photos
- complete a DBS 'disclosure form'
- provide identity documents (we'll tell you which are acceptable when you arrange your appointment)
- pay the £44 disclosure form fee (by bank card)
Safeguarding and Knowledge training
As part of the application process you'll need to attend a training day, designed to help applicants in their new role as a licensed driver. The training day ends with a written test on the topics covered as well as routes in York, locations and places of interest.
The training is provided by our Workforce Development Unit, and costs £80.
You'll be required to undertake a medical to DVLA Group 2 medical standard - our Taxi Licensing Team will provide you with a form.
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 28 days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 28 days please contact us to check the status of your application