Street parties

Planned maintenance - Do It Online

Due to planned server maintenance 'Do It Online' will be unavailable from 12pm on Sunday 31 July. However, customers wanting to pay online will still be able to do so using WebPay.

Street parties and fêtes are usually organised for residents and neighbours and do not need a licence if the music is incidental and the food and drink is provided by the residents and not being sold.  

A risk assessment is not required, however, you should think about using plastic plates and cups, putting an adult in charge of the barbeque and what happens if the weather is bad.   Public liability insurance is not required.

If tombola or raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500, a licence is not required. Proceeds must go to a charity or to cover the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

You will need to clean up after your street party. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Our practical guide for planning and holding a street party is available for you to read.

Larger events

Find out more about holding an event in York.

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page