Talkabout is York's citizens' panel. It is one of the ways people can influence what happens in York, and aims to give a representation of York’s residents' views.
We ask that panel members give 5 to 10 minutes twice a year to complete our main resident satisfaction questionnaires, and take part in other departmental and partner consultations throughout the year.
We are currently updating our database, working to identify gaps and recruit new members in order to create a balanced panel that represents York’s profile.
How the Talkabout panel works
- Panellists are asked to take part in online resident satisfaction surveys twice a year. Printed versions will be supplied on request along with a postage-paid (freepost) envelope.
- Surveys ask for views on topics including: life in York, your local area, problems you face as well as your opinions on different services delivered by the council.
- The panel can be invited by other council departments to take part in consultations on other aspects of council services and policy.
- Results of Talkabout surveys are used by councillors and council officers to influence their decisions. Data will also be published within ward profiles and on York Open Data.
- You will normally remain on the panel for up to 3 years and may choose to leave at any time. As a panel member you can decide whether or not to take part in any opportunity we offer you.
- All residents are invited to apply to join Talkabout by completing an online form or requesting a paper copy from the Business Intelligence Hub (see contact details below).
- When recruiting panel members, we ask for personal data to ensure that the panel is representative of the community as a whole. We also use this information to get better insight into different communities’ views.
- Residents are then randomly selected from this pool to join the panel. This panel aims to be representative of York’s profile, for example, covering different age groups and localities.
- Residents from groups that are already well represented in the panel will be held on a waiting list for up to 12 months.
- To qualify you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Live in the City of York Council area.
How the information you give will be recorded and stored
- What you say will always be treated confidentially under the terms of the Data Protection Act (1998). The information you provide will be used for Talkabout surveys.
- All the information you give is treated as confidential. We never use your name in any reports. We publish the results in opinion poll format, for example, ‘60% said this, 40% said that’
- We never pass your name and address to other organisations for other purposes.
- Anyone processing personal data (facts and opinion about individuals) must comply with the 8 principles of good practice as outlined in the Data Protection Act (1998). We are committed to upholding these principles, which states the personal data must be:
- obtained fairly and processed lawfully
- processed for limited purposes
- adequate, relevant and not excessive
- not kept longer than necessary
- processed in accordance with the data subject's rights
- not transferred to countries without adequate protection
Get involved with local democracy and other ways to have your say: