Each year we receive lots of applications for Single Occupancy Discount relating to council tax bills. Sadly, some applications are not genuine and some people attempt to defraud the system by fraudulently claiming reductions.
Laws exists which allow us to:
- prosecute council tax fraud through the court system
- make fraudulent claimants pay back the money they owe
We undertake regular reviews to make sure our council tax records are up to date and to check which customers should continue to get a Single Occupancy Discount.
2021 Single Occupancy Discount review
You can Complete your Single Occupancy Discount declaration form online to tell us about the number of people living at your address. To access and complete your declaration, you'll need to enter:
- your unique PIN number, from the letter we have sent to you
- your council tax payment reference number (starting '88')
- your post code
If you need help with the form please contact the dedicated review team on telephone: 0800 031 8930.
For more information about the ongoing review, see our Single Occupancy Discount review frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Single Occupancy Discount review outcomes
Our ongoing review ensures everyone who is claiming the single person council tax discount are genuine.
Your discount will continue if you complete the declaration and still qualify. Your discount will be stopped if you:
- fail to complete the declaration
- no longer qualify
If your Single Occupancy Discount payments have been stopped incorrectly
If you feel that your Single Occupancy Discount has been stopped in error, do not respond using the online form.
If you fail to reply to the original review and wish to claim Single Occupancy Discount again (and have it back dated), you must do so in writing:
- download and print a Single Occupancy Discount application form (as we require a signed, paper form)
- attach this with an email and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or post the form in to: The Council Tax Department, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA
Do not complete the online Single Occupancy Discount form, as we require a paper form to reinstate a discount which has been removed as part of a review.
If you are unable to download and print a form, contact us and ask for one to be sent to you by post or collect a form in person from our Customer Centre.
Council Tax appointments
To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.