Searching York’s Historic Environment Record
As well as being able to search York's Historic Environment Record directly, our City Archaeologist can undertake a search on your behalf.
Get more information about:
- making a commercial request for information
- making a non-commercial request for historic information
- receiving information from York's Historic Environment Record (HER)
Read our HER information policy before requesting a data search.
Commercial request for historic information
Complete a 'commercial HER request form' if you're a business or commercial entity and would like to commission a search of York's Historic Environment Record (HER).
There are 3 types of search available and fees depend on the type of search you require:
- HER Commercial Basic Search (without designation data) - £105.00 per hour
- HER Commercial Enhanced Search (including designation data) - £210.00 per hour
- HER Commercial Rapid Response - basic or enhanced cost plus additional £40.00 per hour (subject to availability of staff)
Non-commercial request for historic information
Complete a 'non-commercial HER request form' (based on an area search) if you're a student, individual or community group, or you require information for private study or research.
There's no charge for this service.
Receiving information from York's Historic Environment Record
Following a search of York’s Historic Environment Record (HER), we'll send information to you in a digital format, unless otherwise requested; additional costs may apply 'hard copies' are requested or for information provided 'on disk'.
Our standard digital files are portable document format (PDF) and Geographical Information System (GIS) shapefiles; XML data can be provided on request.
PDF maps are only be produced by special request, and incur further charges due to the additional time they take to produce.
Large data requests (where it's not feasible to create a PDF document) are supplied as GIS data, with database information as XML (accompanied by a schema that allows xml to be viewed in a web browser).