York Open Data was launched in March 2015. It offers residents and businesses free access to a wealth of information about their city, to help to build new products, understanding and solutions to all kinds of challenges such as those around sustainability, transport, energy and community engagement.
You can find all the Local Government Transparency Code related data in the platform, such as:
- members' allowances and members' travel
- all payments to suppliers
- senior officers' expenses and salary data
- grants to voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations
- local authority land
- chief officer's remuneration
- parking report
- pay policy
- social housing asset value
- trade union facility time
Other data you may freely use from our website under the terms of the Open Government Licence is:
- freedom of information details - a list of Freedom of Information requests we've received and the outcomes or responses
- Officer Declaration of Interests policy - revised interim changes to the policy. View the Chief Officer Declaration of Interests
- foreign travel expenses
The platform is also the place where Local Government Transparency Code related information is published, such as members’ allowances or s106 agreements.
The datasets are presented under different formats such as geospatial ones - that can be previewed on a map, or tablelike ones (ie csv, excel) that allow the viewer to filter and analyse the data. Most of them are shared under the OG license which entitles the users to make use of data freely in whichever way they want to.
There is a York Open Data user guide available to help customers to navigate through the platform and the data it hosts.
York Open Service Directory
York Open Service Directory is a database of thousands of groups, activities, services, venues, childcare provision, adult social care services and more. All the information is maintained at a central hub called York Family Information Service. The information is then available to use freely by partners on their own websites, apps or events.
Getting involved with York Open Data
York Open Data is a core element to a number of wider projects such as the Digital Creativity Lab’s Episode project or the RC/IUK funded YCEO which aims to establish a unique York environment observatory.
We would like to encourage anybody interested in being involved with York Open Data to get in touch with our Business Intelligence Hub or to visit the York Open Data platform.
Business Intelligence Hub
Customer and Corporate Services