Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Street parties and fêtes are usually organised for residents and neighbours.

A formal risk assessment is not required, however, you should think about:

  • using disposable plates and cups
  • avoiding single use plastic where possible
  • putting an adult in charge of the barbeque
  • what happens if the weather is bad

If tombola or raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500, a licence is not required. Proceeds must go to a charity or to cover the cost of your party.

Alternatively, if you want to raise some money for a local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

You do not need a licence provided that:

  • the music is incidental
  • the food and drink is provided by the residents and not being sold

Public liability insurance is not required.

You will need to clean up after your street party. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Larger events

Find out more about holding an event in York.

Also see

Highway Regulation

Telephone: 01904 552845