Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Health and social care

Short breaks for disabled and young children

Our ‘Short Breaks’ help children and young Disabled people, as part of a regular and supported package of care for them and their family.

Benefits of Short Breaks

As part of a regular and supported package of care, a Short Break helps children enjoy new and positive experiences with their Short Break carer, whilst:

  • taking part in family or community-based activities
  • making new friends
  • gaining independence
  • broadening their horizons

Short Breaks are designed for children with a permanent and substantial impairment or illness, which has a profound effect on their health, development and social functioning.

Short Breaks can be for a few hours or longer, and can sometimes be overnight. There are different ways that Short Breaks are provided in York. For example, there are specialist schemes offered by the Local Authority and Voluntary Sector agencies offering group activities and individual support. Some families may prefer Direct Payments, monies paid by the Local Authority directly to families so that they can organise and pay for support themselves.

A Short Break could include having additional support so that a child or young person can join a club or recreational activity in their community. It could involve someone caring for a child in their own home or within the child’s home. It could be extra support for the disabled child to join in family leisure and social activities.

Apply for a Short Break

Enquire about applying for short breaks online.

To find out more about Short Breaks, see information about Short Breaks from YorOK.

Short Break providers

There are different types of Short Breaks available depending on the assessed needs of the child or young person. These can include support provided directly from the council, including Community Short Breaks, Residential Short Breaks and Short Breaks Foster Care. Alternatively, families can use their budget to be supported by a Direct Payment or independent agency.

There are a few organisations that can help;

  • Short Breaks Foster Care
  • Snappy are a registered charity, working with children and young people with wide ranging disabilities, from learning difficulties to profound physical disabilities

Apply for transport to a Short Break

To apply for a Short Break, you may need to provide:

  • a photograph

You'll be able to upload these documents when you complete the online form.

Please note: our system will 'time out' after 10 minutes for each form page, so you may need to gather these documents and answers before starting this form. Read more about uploading supporting documents.

In addition, there are a few questions which require longer answers if you’re applying for a child under the age of 12 and/or if the person receiving assistance requires a Personal Travel Assistant (PTA). A Personal Travel Assistant (PTA) may be assigned to support a young person in exceptional circumstances. Anyone applying for this support will be required to provide proof that this is essential and to explain what the PTA is expected to do. As standard the drivers will ensure young person’s get to and from the vehicle safely and put on their seatbelts.

You may want to compose your answers to these questions prior to completing the form. You can then 'copy and paste' your text into this form once you're ready to send it. There is a 550-character limit for each of these questions so please make sure your answers are an appropriate length.

The following questions will be asked:

  • If necessary, describe any other additional seating requirements? (This will be asked if you’re applying for a child under the age of 12)
  • If applicable, describe any other equipment required?
  • Please briefly describe why the young person needs a PTA and what specific tasks the PTA needs to carry out (This will only be asked if you require a PTA)

Find out more about the transport options we offer for eligible young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

Apply for transport to a short break

If you need assistance filling in this form, contact your social worker.

Also see

Short Breaks

Children's Social Care, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA