Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Scrap metal dealer licence

To be a 'scrap metal dealer' or 'motor salvage operator' in the York area you must apply for the appropriate licence.

There are two types and our scrap metal dealers guidance notes explain the application requirements and procedure.

The licence is permitted to collect commercial and domestic scrap metal.

Scrap metal collector licence applications should be returned to Licensing Services, along with the appropriate fees.

You will also need an additional licence from each local authority where you operate, outside of our area.

Scrap metal dealer site licence

In addition to a scrap metal collector licence, you will need to apply for a scrap metal dealer site licence (or licence renewal) including the relevant fee, if:

  • we cover the area where your business is located
  • business as a scrap metal dealer is carried out at a site/premises
  • a named site manager is required for each site

Site licence applications should be returned to Licensing Services, along with the appropriate fees.

We process valid applications (which include the relevant documentation and fee) within 28 days of receipt. As part of the application process:

  • you must provide a DBS disclosure (please contact the Disclosure and Barring Service either by email or by phone on: 0300 020 0190)
  • relevant offences and enforcement action can be taken into consideration
  • we may consider any other information
  • we consult agencies (North Yorkshire Police, the Environment Agency, other departments within the council, other relevant local authorities)

The licensee is permitted to operate as a scrap metal dealer from the site, including transporting scrap metal to and from the site, from any local authority area.

A scrap metal dealer licence:

  • lasts for three years
  • must be renewed on or before the expiry date

Scrap metal dealer licence costs

Find out more about scrap metal dealer licence fees.

Record of scrap metal dealings

Every scrap metal dealer must keep accurate records of the metal they receive and dispose of. You can refer to our scrap metal dealers guidance on keeping records for assistance with this.

Other licence requirements

If you carry or transport waste as part of your business with a view to making a profit you may also need a 'Waste Carriers Licence' from the Environment Agency, in addition to your scrap metal dealer licence.

If you store or process metal at your site you may need an environmental permit. For further advice please contact the Environment Agency on tel: 08708 506506.

Use of your personal data

We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and to this end may use the information you provide on your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Also see

Licensing Services

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

Telephone: 01904 552422