We apply treatment for weeds throughout the growing season across York, to control weeds growing on public land, including:
- back lanes
Before reporting a concern relating to weeds or moss, you should check how we deal with the treatment of weeds across the city.
Use our eForm to report a concern with weeds or moss on public land.
How we treat weeds
Weed killer is delivered using ride-on machinery. We use modern technology and best practice to reduce the amount of chemicals used, using a non-residual, contact weed killer which has no harmful effects on the soil.
Because of the way we treat weeds:
- only weeds that are growing at the time of treatment will be killed
- weeds will begin to die 10 or more days after they have been sprayed
- any weeds that appear after treatment will continue to grow until the next treatment
- weeds are always visible, but in various states
Subject to weather conditions and the growing season, we aim to treat weeds:
- 3 times a year
- between the end of April and mid-September
Each application takes approximately 3 weeks to complete across the city, depending on the weather.
We start to inspect treated areas 2 weeks after the start of the season, and apply further treatments where required.
We'll respond to requests to treat weeds and moss within 4 working days.
We cannot treat weeds on private land. Contact us if you wish to report concerns about overgrown weeds on private property.