People and communities

Fixed Penalty Notice for Household Waste duty of care breach

You must take all reasonable measures to ensure you only give your waste for removal and disposal to an authorised person.

This is in order to reduce incidents of fly-tipping.

Waste carrier licence check

If you pay anyone to take your waste away, you must check they're licensed.

You can do this by:

If you receive an FPN for household waste 'duty of care' breach

Find out what happens when you receive an FPN and how to pay an FPN for breaching your household waste 'duty of care'.

Read more about Fixed Penalty Notices (GOV.UK).

Report breaches of household waste 'duty of care'

Contact our Neighbourhood Enforcement Team if you suspect someone of:

  • using an unlicensed waste carrier, or
  • operating as an unlicensed waste carrier

Please provide as many of the following details as you can:

  • details of the actions being carried out
  • the business/individual's name and address
  • the date, time and location you witnessed the offence
  • your name and contact details (which will remain confidential)

Report fly-tipping online

Report fly-tipping online if you notice rubbish dumped in a certain location, but didn't witness the crime.

Also see

Neighbourhood Enforcement Team

Community Safety Hub, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551555