The Highway Design Guide sets out our approach to development within York.
It states that the environment should be designed with a focus on people and their activities, not dominated by roads and transport.
Any new developments should have the following aims:
- new housing estates should relate to their context and integrate with their landscape and townscape setting
- the quality of new estates should be improved for the benefit of residents, neighbours and existing communities
- safe and attractive pedestrian, cycle and public transport links within new estates and to existing communities
- safe and attractive spaces, and road networks with low traffic speeds
- easy and safe access between footways, car parking areas and dwellings for everyone, including those with impaired mobility
- safe, secure new developments which incorporate sustainable principles
Highway Design Guide
Appendices to the Highway Design Guide
Support documents to the Highway Design Guide
- individual support documents for the Highway Design Guide
- all the support documents for the Highways Design Guide