When you buy fireworks make sure they display a valid CE mark from an authorised reseller.
The firework code
Always follow the firework code:
- keep fireworks in a sealed box
- use them one at a time, replacing the lid immediately
- NEVER put fireworks in your pocket
- read the instructions carefully using a torch or hand lamp
- NEVER use a naked flame to read instructions
- light fireworks at arms length using a taper or a firework lighter
- stand well back and NEVER return to a firework after it has been lit
- ensure children with fireworks are well supervised
- NEVER throw fireworks
- keep all pets and animal indoors
- take care of sparklers, wear gloves to hold them and dispose of sparklers in a bucket of water as soon as they are finished
- air bombs and nuisance rockets banned
- restricted selling periods from 1 January 2005
- accountability for firework importers
- under 18s not allowed to possess fireworks
- 11.00pm to 7.00am curfew (except New Years eve)
- maximum noise levels for fireworks
The police and trading standards will enforce these new regulations. If you break these regulations you could be fined up to a maximum £5,000 or imprisoned for six months.
You can also find out about bonfires and smoke pollution.