We're committed to working with homeowners and members of the public to address problems associated with empty homes in the city and to maximise the use of existing 'housing stock'.
Report an empty property
You can send a report anonymously, but if you provide your contact details we'll be able to provide you with updates.
Once we receive your report we'll contact the property owner to find out what their plans are for the property. If the property is open to trespass we'll ask the owner to secure it, or we'll take steps to secure it ourselves.
Lists of empty properties
While we're unable to provide lists of empty properties or the contact details of owners, you may be able to find this information yourself by:
- searching for a property on the Land Registry website (a small fee applies) to reveal the name of the owner and/or their alternative contact address
- using an online directory enquiries service
- posting a note through the door of the empty property explaining your interest and asking the owner to contact you
Contact our Housing Standards and Adaptations Team for further advice or information about empty properties.
Owners of empty properties
The following support is available for owners of empty homes:
- loans to help with the cost of repairs
- advice on the options available, and guidance through these processes
- assistance with the planning process
- free property appraisals to help you judge the costs of renovation and the property’s current value
Read more about our empty property loans or download our factsheets on the types of empty property loans available.
Enforcement action for empty properties
If owners refuse to engage with us, or fail to make satisfactory progress to bring their properties back into use, we may take formal action, such as using Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) powers. See details of our enforcement action for empty properties.
Our Empty Property Strategy is set out in our Private Sector Housing Strategy 2016-2021.