Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Council tax

Council tax banding enquiries

All domestic properties are placed in a 'band' to determine the appropriate council tax charge.

There are 8 standard bands, ranging from the lowest, band A, to the highest, band H.

There's also a special band referred to as band AR. Properties within band A may be placed in band AR if they qualify for a council tax discount for Disabled people.

Check your council tax band

Challenging your council tax band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for deciding which band applies to your property. The VOA is an executive agency, sponsored by HM Revenues and Customs.

If you think your property is in the wrong tax band, you can challenge your band by contacting the VOA. This is a free service and there's no need to pay a third party company to challenge your council tax band for you.

If your property is within valuation band A, it can't be reduced further by the VOA.

When pursuing any council tax banding enquiries or disputes, you must continue to pay your council tax on time, otherwise you may default and face recovery action.

Also see

Council Tax appointments

To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.

Make an appointment

Council Tax

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551558