You must have a licence to store building materials on any part of the highway.
We require 3 working days' notice to process your application.
If you require permission more urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge.
- building materials should not obstruct other highway users
- the area should be 'coned' or protected with barriers for safety
- the area must be lit during the hours of darkness
Restrictions on the location of building materials on the highway
We will not give permission to store building materials on:
- carriageways (if on double yellow lines)
Building materials on the highway without permission
If we find building materials left on the road or grass verge without permission, we'll contact the owner of the adjacent property and ask them to remove the materials, or apply for permission to do this.
Licence costs to store building materials on the highway
Costs to store building materials on the road or grass verge for up to 14 days:
- £63.00 (minimum 3 days' notice)
Late notification fee (less than 3 working days):
Failure to comply with terms of licence:
We'll send an invoice for payment for successful applications.
How we process your application
We require time to process and consider your application before it can be granted.
In this case:
- you can't assume permission will be given
- we'll contact you within 3 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
You can't act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within expected timeframes.
If you haven't heard from us within 3 working days, please contact us to check the status of your application.