Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Moving into independent living accommodation

If your bid for an independent living property is successful, we will arrange an appointment to show you around the property.

If you decide to move in, we will explain the process, sign all the relevant paperwork with you and give you the keys to your home. You will then become responsible for the tenancy.

Moving in to your new home

You may be asked to move in at short notice, possibly 2 weeks, although we do try to give as much advance notice as possible.

When you move into your new home, you will be welcomed by the Housing Management Officer (HMO). Find out more about the role your HMO plays in moving into your new home.


You will be given the keys/fobs to your new home – one for your flat, and one for the front door of the main building.


We will advise you about arrangements for your gas and electricity supply.


You can smoke in your own flat or in the garden, but smoking is not permitted in communal areas of the building.

Your HMO or other professionals who visit you may ask you not to smoke while they are in the property.

Rent and benefits

Visit our advice for independent living tenants page for information about paying rent.

We want to ensure that you receive the benefits and credits that you are entitled to. Contact the Benefits Advice Team for information and advice on all welfare benefits and tax credits.

Household contents insurance for tenants

We recommend that all tenants get housing contents insurance. In association with Royal and Sun Alliance, we have made it easy to insure your belongings with 'Simple' household contents insurance, which is exclusively available to our council tenants.

Also see

Adult Social Care Community Team

Telephone: 01904 555111, Textphone: 07534 437804

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA