Eligibility for the Winter Support Grant
The Winter Support Grant scheme is open to City of York residents who are over 16 years of age, who require urgent financial assistance as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.
To be considered you must have been financially impacted by the pandemic and have savings of less than £2000
And you are
- A family with a child / children
- A person in need of additional support
- A family with a child / children is a single claimant or couple claimants who are responsible for
- one or more children who will be under the age of 19 as at 31 March 2021
- or a person aged 19 or over in respect of whom a child-related benefit (for example, Child Benefit) is paid or free school meals are provided
- or where an eligible child is living on his or her own, they are treated as a ‘household’
- A person in need of additional support may include, but is not restricted to:
- Anyone suffering severe financial hardship, including people with mortgages arrears and rent arrears in private rented accommodation
- Someone age 24 or under with an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC)
- Someone age 19 or under classed as not in education, employment or training (NEET)
- A person identified as COVID clinically extremely vulnerable
- A person who has a physical or sensory impairment, learning disability or mental health problem
- Elderly, frail or confused older people
- People who are seriously ill or have a severe long term health condition
- People who are recently bereaved
- Pregnant women or those who have recently given birth
- Recently unemployed people
- Care leaver
- Those fleeing domestic abuse
- Those who have difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English
To be eligible for a Winter Support Grant from us, the applicant must live within the City of York Council area and be responsible for the payment of utility bills, food shopping, mortgage or rent at the property.
Who cannot apply?
The following categories of people do not qualify for help:
- People who do not live within the City of York Council boundaries
For more information regarding the rules of the scheme please download the Winter Support Grant documentation.