Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

How we help with noise pollution depends on the cause of the noise, and when it occurs.

Find out about:

Noise problems from commercial and industrial premises

Contact our Public Protection Team for help with noise problems from commercial and industrial premises.

Types of commercial and industrial noise include:

  • loud music
  • ventilation noise
  • alarms
  • noise from deliveries and collections
  • bird scarers
  • construction and demolition
  • factory noise
  • noise from licensed premises

We have legal powers to deal with certain types of construction noise relating to heavy industry, plant works and machinery.

We also give advice on how to minimise noise.

Top of page

Noise problems from domestic premises

Contact our Neighbourhood Enforcement Team for help with noise problems from domestic premises.

Types of domestic noise include:

  • noisy pets
  • loud music
  • party noise
  • domestic alarms
  • musical instruments
  • noise from DIY

Top of page

Our response to complaints about noise

We'll respond to you as soon as possible, and within 3 working days.

We're unable to take anonymous complaints, but we keep any personal details you give us confidential.

When you report noise from commercial or domestic properties we'll ask for:

  • your name, full address and contact details
  • the address you are complaining about
  • information about the noise, such as: the cause, how often, how long it lasts, and how it affects you

Top of page

Making a noise complaint 'out of hours'

Our Neighbourhood Enforcement Team and Public Protection Team deal with complaints about noise from Monday to Friday, between 8.30am and 5.00pm.

The Noise Patrol Team is available 'out of hours' to deal with both commercial and domestic noise complaints:

  • from 9.00pm Friday to 2.30am Saturday
  • from 9.00pm Saturday to 2.30am Sunday

Top of page

How we investigate noise complaints

Once we've received your complaint we will:

  1. Write to the person you're complaining about to tell them that a complaint has been made and ask them to reduce the noise to an acceptable level (your details are kept confidential).
  2. Write to you asking you to contact us while the noise is happening.
  3. Visit your property to assess the noise whilst it's happening.
  4. Serve a legal noise abatement notice if our officer we consider the noise to be a 'statutory nuisance'.

The legal notice requires the person or company responsible for the noise to stop causing a nuisance. If the noise continues after this, we may prosecute them; prosecution may result in a fine of up to £5,000 for individuals, or £20,000 for companies.

In most cases we find that the noise stops soon after our initial contact those responsible for the noise, and the complaint is subsequently closed. However, if noise does continue then please contact us again and we'll investigate the matter further.

Top of page

Also see

Public Protection Team

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

Telephone: 01904 551525

Neighbourhood Enforcement Team

Community Safety Hub, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551555

Noise Patrol

Out of hours noise complaints only; Friday and Saturday, from 9.00pm to 2.30am.

Telephone: 01904 551555