Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Our Public Protection Unit can help with noise problems from commercial and industrial premises.

The types of noise we can deal with include:

  • loud music
  • ventilation noise
  • alarms
  • noise from deliveries and collections
  • bird scarers
  • construction and demolition
  • factory noise
  • noise from licensed premises

We have legal powers to deal with certain types of construction noise relating to heavy industry, plant works and machinery. We also give advice on how to minimise noise.

Our Neighbourhood Enforcement Team can help with noise problems from domestic premises.

The types of noise we can deal with include:

  • noisy pets
  • music and party noise
  • domestic alarms
  • musical instruments
  • noise from DIY

Making a complaint about noise

Contact the Public Protection Unit for complaints about noise from commercial premises.

Contact Neighbourhood Enforcement Team for complaints about noise from domestic properties.

We will respond to you as soon as possible and within no more than 3 working days. Our office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5.00pm.

We are unable to take anonymous complaints, but we keep any personal details you give us confidential.

We will ask you for:

  • your name, full address and contact details
  • the address you are complaining about
  • information about the noise, such as: the cause, how often, how long it lasts, and how it affects you

Making complaints outside our office hours

Noise Patrol is available outside our office hours from:

  • 9.00pm Friday to 3.00am Saturday
  • 9.00pm Saturday to 3.00am Sunday

The Noise Patrol Team can deal with both commercial and domestic complaints, out of hours.

How we investigate noise complaints

Once we have received your complaint we will:

  1. write to the person you're complaining about to tell them that a complaint has been made and ask them to reduce the noise to an acceptable level (your details are kept confidential)
  2. write to you asking you to contact us while the noise is happening
  3. visit your property to assess the noise whilst it's happening
  4. serve a legal 'noise abatement notice' if our officer considers the noise to be a 'statutory nuisance'

The legal notice requires the person or company responsible for the noise to stop causing a nuisance. If the noise continues after this, then we may prosecute them - this may result in a fine of up to £5,000 for individuals or £20,000 for companies.

In most cases we find that the noise stops soon after our initial contact with the company or person responsible and the case subsequently closed. However if noise does continue then please contact us again and we will investigate the matter further.

Also see

Neighbourhood Enforcement Team

Community Safety Hub, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551555

Public Protection

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

Telephone: 01904 551525

Noise Patrol

Out of hours complaints only - Friday and Saturday: 9.00pm to 3.00am

Telephone: 01904 551555