Sex establishments must be licensed by us. Apply to renew, update, transfer or get a new sex shop, sex cinema or sexual entertainment licence.
Return to your application to Licensing Services.
You must also:
- advertise notice of the application in the local newspaper not more than 7 days after the application is made
- display a notice outside the premises in a position where it can be easily read for a period of 21 continuous days to give local residents the opportunity to comment.
We'll contact your at the end of the '28 day objection period' to give you further information about when your application. Download our policy for sexual entertainment venues.
We will use the following criteria when considering your application:
- your suitability
- whether you are a 'front' for someone else
- the location and situation of the premises in relation to other premises in the area
- whether the number of sex establishments in that locality is equal to, or exceeds the number that we consider appropriate for the area
- any objections to your application
Download sex establishment licence conditions.
A sex establishment can be any of the following:
- a sex shop - premises where articles are sold (to a significant degree), which can be used in connection with, or to promote, sexual activity
- a sex cinema - premises used (to a significant degree) for showing films that are concerned primarily with, or relate to, or are intended to stimulate sexual activity
- a sexual entertainment venue - premises where relevant entertainment is provided before a live audience for the financial gain of the organiser or the entertainer
- relevant entertainment - live performance or any live display of nudity, which is of such a nature that it is provided, solely or principally, for the purpose of sexually stimulating any member of the audience
Cost of sex establishment licences
Sex shop or sex cinema licence costs:
- new licence: £911
- renew licence: £613
- transfer licence: £613
- update licence: £613
Sexual entertainment venue licence costs:
- new licence: £1,457
- renew licence: £1,080
- transfer licence: £1,080
- update licence: £1,080
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 28 days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 28 days please contact us to check the status of your application
Sex establishment fines and penalties
You are committing an offence and could be subject to an unlimited fine if you:
- operate a sex establishment without a licence
- fail to comply with a licence condition
- admit anyone on to the premise under the age of 18
Declined sex establishment licences
If your application for a sex establishment licences is refused or you do not agree with a condition of the licence, you may appeal to the Magistrates Court.
An appeal against a decision made by the Magistrates Court may be appealed to the Crown Court.