If you wish to report pollution in a stream, river or pond, contact the Environment Agency on telephone: 0800 80 70 60. We don't deal with polluted watercourses.

If you have a query regarding the quality of your drinking water or issues with your mains water supply, contact Yorkshire Water on telephone: 08451 242424.

We're responsible for regulating private water supplies not provided by Yorkshire Water. A private water supply is any water supply which is not provided by a water company and which would not be considered to be a 'mains' supply, including:

  • wells
  • boreholes
  • springs
  • rivers and streams
  • lakes or ponds

Ensuring your water is safe

All private water supplies can pose a threat to health unless they are properly protected and treated. You may not be able to tell whether your water is safe as contamination may not show by the smell, taste or colour of the water. Unlike public supplies, many private supplies are not treated to remove contamination.

If you have a private water supply, you should:

Find out about your water supply

  • who is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance?
  • where is the source?
  • where does it go to get to your property?
  • is it treated in any way?
  • is the treatment equipment in good order and serviced regularly?

Keep your supply safe

Make sure you inspect all parts of your supply, including the catchment area, regularly. Any defects found should be corrected as quickly as possible. More information about treating and keeping your supply safe can be found on the Drinking Water Inspectorate website.

Register your supply with us

We monitor the quality of all private supplies in the York area. However, if there are only a small number of people using the supply, you may only require monitoring to be done once every 5 years. To find out if your supply is registered, contact our Public Protection Unit.

We do not charge to provide advice and information, but do charge for additional sampling.

Changing to a mains supply

If you no longer want to use your private supply, you can ask your local water company about the possibility of connecting to the public supply - you'll probably have to pay all of the costs.

For further information, contact Yorkshire Water.

Also see

Comment on this page