Private home repairs

When privately owned homes are in need of repair or physical improvements, we can offer advice on property maintenance and finding an appropriate contractor.

Choosing a contractor

The home services directory, available on the Age UK York website, offers a range of traders vetted by the police, City of York Trading Standards and Age UK York to protect householders from bogus traders.

Finding a handyperson

The York Handyperson Service can perform small jobs around your home if you:

  • live in the City of York area
  • are a home owner or private tenant
  • are aged 65 years and over, or are disabled

Find out more about the York Handyperson Service on the Yorkshire Housing website.

Financial help

We have no obligation to help homeowners pay for repairs, but we are committed to assisting with properties that are in a significant state of disrepair, and will do what we can to assist financially.

You may qualify for financial help if you are aged 65 years and over or are disabled, and in receipt of a means tested benefit.

Contact our Housing Standards and Adaptations Team to find out if you are eligible for financial assistance. Do not start work before your loan has been approved – we cannot pay you retrospectively.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page