Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Apply for a personal alcohol licence

You must have a personal alcohol licence to supply, or authorise the supply of, alcohol in accordance with the terms of a premises licence.

Application form

You need to complete the relevant application forms and declarations and send to our Licensing Services team along with the following:

  • the fee of £37
  • 2 passport-sized photographs of you, one of which must be endorsed by a professional
  • a basic disclosure criminal conviction certificate, or a criminal record certificate, or the results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998. This certificate must be less than 1 month old. These can be applied for at the Disclosure and Barring Service via email at or by telephone: 0300 0200190 (Please note as of 3 January 2018 Disclosure Scotland is no longer providing this service for people living in England and Wales)
  • a declaration of your conviction details (that is, the nature and date of your convictions and sentence imposed), or a declaration that you have no relevant convictions
  • your relevant licensing qualification, unless you are exempted under section 4 of the Licensing Act 2003 (personal licences) regulations

You must declare any relevant conviction details (that is, the nature and date of convictions and sentence imposed). You will find a 'Disclosure of Convictions and Civil Penalties' form together with the Personal Licence application. Please complete both forms and submit together with all other documentation.

Notification of change of name or address

There is no form to complete to let us know about a change of name or address. Simply put the changes in writing/email and send the letter/email to us at Licensing Services (contact details below).
You must send the following with your notice of a change of name or address:

  • the fee of £10.50 - please make cheques payable to 'City of York Council'; for all other payment methods, please contact Licensing Services
  • your personal licence (or your reasons for failure to send the licence)

Renew personal alcohol licence

The government has abolished the need to renew personal licences, so your licence will remain valid throughout the country even if it shows an expired expiry date.

Please note: We will only issue you with an amended licence if you inform us of a change of name and/or address.

Also see

Licensing Services

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

Telephone: 01904 552422