Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Health and social care

Report adult abuse in York

Abuse and neglect may be a single act or take place over a longer period of time, it can happen anywhere including:

  • at home
  • in care homes
  • in day care centres
  • in hospitals

Report adult abuse in York

If you're not sure what to do to protect a vulnerable adult, our Adult Social Care Team can give you advice.

Contact the City of York Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB) to report your concerns and abuse.

Visit the Safeguarding Adults website

Alternatively, find out about child protection in York.

To report a crime:

  • in an emergency, contact the police on telephone: 999
  • if the person is not in immediate danger, contact the police on telephone: 101

To report a safeguarding concern:

  • use the Safeguarding Adults 'concern a concern' online form
  • if you would prefer to report information anonymously contact us
  • contact the City of York Adult Social Care, on telephone: 01904 555111, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm
  • hearing impaired customers can use the text facility on telephone: 07534 437804
  • out of hours, telephone: 0300 131 2131

Once you report the suspected abuse, our Adult Social Care Safeguarding Team will look carefully at the situation. This may lead to a full investigation which follows our safeguarding protocols and may involve local health services and the North Yorkshire Police if a crime is suspected of being committed.

We'll be guided by what the person being abused, or at risk of abuse, wants to happen and will work closely with them or their representative throughout.

We'll take steps to:

  • ensure the adult at risk is protected in the future
  • speak to North Yorkshire Police if a criminal offence has been committed

City of York Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB)

The City of York SAB is a multi-agency partnership with a wide ranging membership of representatives from statutory, independent and voluntary organisations, including:

Its role is to ensure that people in the city of York are safeguarded from abuse by making sure adequate procedures and processes are in place.

Visit the Safeguarding Adults website.

Further support for dealing with adult abuse in York

The following organisations may be helpful to you:

Also see

City of York Safeguarding Adults Board

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 555111