Safety certificates are required for:
- stadia with a capacity of more than 10,000 spectators
- all premier and football league stadia
- grounds with covered stands with a capacity of more than 500 spectators
However, a safe capacity needs to be determined for each facility.
Safety certificates cover:
- the physical condition of sports grounds
- safety management systems
Regular inspections are made to ensure spectator safety.
Before applying for a safety certificate
Before applying for a safety certificate, bear in mind that:
- the process of granting a safety certificate is complex
- it could take a significant period of time depending on the size/complexity of the sports ground
Note: We take residents' and potential spectators' views into consideration before issuing safety certificates.
Apply for a safety certificate
Contact our Licensing Team to discuss your safety certificate requirements. They'll send you the appropriate application forms if you meet the criteria.
Please include the following with your completed application:
- risk assessments
- contingency plans
- spectator safety policy
- name and qualification of safety officer
- eight full sets of detailed drawings
Safety certificate costs
Safety certificate costs vary depending on the work involved in your application.
Certified sports facilities in York
York currently has three certified facilities:
- Bootham Crescent football ground
- York Racecourse
- Huntington Stadium