Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Schools and education

School complaints

If your child has a problem at school you should be able to sort it out through an informal discussion with your child's teacher. If you can't resolve a problem informally, the school should have a formal complaints procedure that you can follow.

Please note that we no longer have any role in school complaints.

Step one: contact your child's school

If you're worried about your child's learning or welfare at school, your child's class teacher or head of year is the best person to approach first. Teachers will usually be in the classroom during the day, but you can leave messages with the school office asking the teacher to get back to you.

If the teacher can't help or you're not satisfied with their response, you can talk to the headteacher. You should be able to arrange a meeting or a telephone conversation with the headteacher through the school office. If this isn't practical, you may wish to make a written complaint.

Step two: contact the governing body or academy trust

If your complaint is not resolved, the next stage is to approach the school's governing body or academy trust. All state-funded schools are required to have a procedure to deal with any complaints relating to the school, or to any facilities or services that the school provides for the local community.

If you want to complain to the governing body or academy trust, ask the school for a copy of its complaints procedure. All complaints must be in writing.

Step three: contact the Secretary of State for Education

If you are not satisfied with the response from step two you can contact the Secretary of State for Education.

Secretary of State
Department for Education
Castle View House
East Lane
Telephone: 0370 000 2288
Typetalk: 18001 0370 000 2288
Fax: 01928 738248

Education Support Services

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551554