The Special Educational Needs Co-ordination Service is responsible for the administration and co-ordination of the process for determining and arranging specialist provision. The process is referred to as Statutory Assessment.
This includes the management of:
- Requests for assessment of special educational needs by schools and parents.
- The production of statements of special educational needs - the statutory document describing the needs of the pupil.
- The production of notes in lieu of statements – this is not a full statement but is a note giving useful advice to help ensure that a pupil's needs are met.
- Allocation of provision for statemented pupils, including school placements, support and equipment.
- The annual review of statements - a statutory requirement.
These services are free of charge to parents, carers, schools and other professionals.