The Special Educational Needs Co-ordination Service is responsible for the administration and co-ordination of the process for determining and arranging specialist provision. The process is referred to as Statutory Assessment.
This includes the management of:
- requests for assessment of special educational needs by schools and parents
- the production of Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) to support special educational needs - this is a statutory document describing the needs of the pupil
- the production of notes instead of a EHCP – this is not a full EHCP but is a note giving useful advice to help ensure that a pupil's needs are met
- allocation of provision for EHCP pupils, including school placements, support and equipment
- the annual review of EHCP - this is a statutory requirement
These services are free of charge to parents, carers, schools and other professionals.