Managing caring and employment responsibilities can be challenging, but also very rewarding, with the right support in place.
Carers in work may also have the right to:
- request flexible working
- time off in emergencies
- protection against discrimination or harassment under the Equality Act 2010
- a carer's assessment taking into account your wish to work, study or enjoy leisure activities
Employment and caring
Get advice about employment and being a carer from the following organisations:
York Carers Centre
York Carers Centre has an employment, education and training advisor who can offer information about:
- staying in employment or education
- confidence building
- accessing courses with qualifications or for interest
- getting one-to-one support
- developing your employability skills
Jobcentre Plus can help with training and improving your skills, if you want to:
- do paid work as well as caring, or
- find work when you stop being a carer
They can often help with costs while you’re training or going to interviews.
Adult Social Care Team
Telephone: 01904 555111 , Textphone: 07534 437804 (note: this number is for sensory impaired customers only)
Adult Social Care Emergency Duty Team
Contact the Emergency Duty Team for assistance.