Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Accidents at work

If you have an accident at a workplace, as an employee or a customer, it may need to be reported by law. If you're a council employee or a member of the public, injured on our premises or land or as a result of our activities, contact our internal health and safety team.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has more information on the legal requirement about reporting accidents. These are contained in the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR), 2013.

Workplace accidents which need to be reported

Employees should report accidents that cause you to be absent from work for more than seven consecutive days, or where you suffer a major injury, for example a fracture or loss of sight.

Non-employees should report accidents where you have to be taken directly from the workplace to hospital for treatment.

Reporting an accident under RIDDOR

Only employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises should report an accident using the relevant form from the HSE or via the 'fatal and major injuries telephone service' (Incident Contact Centre: 0345 300 9923, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm).

Employees and members of the public who need to report an accident should contact our health and safety team directly.

Also see

Public Protection

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

Telephone: 01904 551525