We created this privacy notice in August 2022 and will keep it under review. When we use your personal data, City of York Council (CYC) complies with data protection legislation, and is the registered ‘Controller’. Our data protection notification is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – reference Z5809563.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy and transparency information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
- Personal data
- Collecting personal data
- Using personal data
- Our legal basis for using personal data
- Sharing personal data
- Retaining personal data
- Further processing of personal data
- Your rights relating to personal data
We are looking to install ERS Co2 sensors in a range of CYC properties to better understand the performance of our homes. The sensors are small self-contained units that monitor: CO2, temperature, humidity, light and motion. The sensors do not record any video or audio.
Why we are using the technology is twofold:
- The sensors will help us identify and address conditions in your home that could lead to problems before they impact your living conditions. By better measuring and understanding the conditions that lead to damp and mould, we will be able to provide more timely advice to you on changes that can help reduce this.
- It will allow us to measure the temperature, humidity, and CO2 levels within the property. We will use the data to compare against other council delivered homes to understand the difference in performance between the types of construction. This will help improve understanding of the design of homes and also what retrofit measures we undertake on existing homes in the future.
If you agree to the sensors being installed in your home you are allowing us to take regular readings of the conditions within your home as described online in the Housing Conditions Sensor Trial web page.
This will also help us to fulfil our statutory duties and duty of care to you as a tenant of a council property.
The information we collect may also indicate other factors that we have a statutory responsibility to review with you. These are:
- consistently low ambient temperatures
- consistently elevated levels of CO2
- peaks in humidity that suggest a non-environmental issue
In the event of this we will contact you in writing to make you aware of our concerns.
See further details about how we define personal data and non-personal data.
Collecting personal data
We will collect your personal information when you consent to having a sensor installed in your home/property and this privacy notice explains how we will use it.
The sensors measure the following conditions within the property:
- air temperature
- humidity (amount of moisture in the air)
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) level
This information is periodically sent back to us and is done so securely.
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- ensure you know if you have a choice about giving us information
- make sure we don’t keep it for longer than is necessary
Using personal data
The information from the sensor(s) is mapped against your property in the software so we are able respond to any issues that we identify. Your personal details are not included in this dataset.
The information we collect will be used to better understand the conditions of our housing stock and where appropriate, make informed decisions about any work your home may need or any lifestyle changes that could help improve conditions. We may also use it to demonstrate the technology to other council teams and services.
We may use the information in reports and returns e.g. to central government where required. Any information for publication or use outside of the council staff who need to use it for this project, will be anonymised and will not identify any individuals.
Our legal basis for using personal data
We are using the information you give us with your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting the Housing Delivery Programme by email: email@example.com.
Sharing personal data
We have an agreement in place with North, the Managed Service Provider. North’s privacy notice can be found online.
We will only share your personal information with other council services as appropriate e.g. Finance Services.
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, e.g. if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as law enforcement, fraud or tax investigations, regulation and licensing, criminal prosecutions and court proceedings.
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud or tax investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
Retaining personal data
We will keep your personal data for three years and then it will be deleted or destroyed securely.
Where required or appropriate to, at the end of the retention period, we will pass onto the City Archives any relevant information.
At the end of the retention period, we may pass any relevant information to the City Archives where it is required or appropriate to do so.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
Your rights relating to personal data
To find out about your rights under data protection law, you can go to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).
You can also find information about your rights.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, want to exercise your rights, or if you have a complaint about how your information has been used, please contact us.
- Website terms and disclaimer
- Data Protection Policy Statement
- Accessibility statement
- Cookies policy
- Copyright statement