Coppergate access restrictions apply everyday between 8.00am to 6.00pm - only the following vehicles are allowed access:
- 8.00am to 10.00am - buses, taxis and private hire vehicles only
- 10.00am to 4.00pm - buses, taxis, private hire vehicles and other vehicles for loading purposes only
- 4.00pm to 6.00pm - buses, taxis and private hire vehicles only
Outside these times (6.00pm to 8.00am), access is not restricted.
These restrictions don't apply to bicycles.
Coppergate traffic restriction enforcement
Automatic number plate recognition cameras (ANPR) in place along Coppergate check number plates against permitted vehicles' registration details.
If any unauthorised vehicle is found to be on Coppergate during restricted hours, we'll issue a penalty charge notice (PCN) to the vehicle owner.
Penalty charge notices
If you receive a penalty charge notice (PCN), full instructions on how and where to pay, who to contact and how to appeal will be included.
Note: You'll need your penalty charge number and vehicle registration number to use the online service.
View numbers of warning letters and penalty charge notices issued on Coppergate to date.
Advance information entry signs are in place to give advance warning to motorists about Coppergate traffic restrictions.
Background on the Traffic Regulation Order for Coppergate
Executive Committee members agreed to the proposal of the reintroduction of traffic enforcement on Coppergate by automatic number plate recognition cameras (ANPR) in June 2016.
The Committee then decided to implement the proposal in October 2016.
For further details see:
- agenda, decisions and minutes from Executive meeting - 30 June 2016 (item 10)
- agenda, decisions and minutes from Executive meeting - 13 October 2016 (item 60)