We created this privacy notice in January 2023 and will keep it under review. When we use your personal data, City of York Council (CYC) complies with data protection legislation, and is the registered ‘Controller’. Our data protection notification is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – reference Z5809563
- why do we collect information?
- how is the information collected?
- what information do we collect?
- what will we do with the information?
- storage of information
- how long will we keep the information?
- further processing
- your rights
Why do we collect information?
We will collect and use information to support young people to share their views to encourage strategic change and are working with the Humber and North Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership.
We also want to be able to contact you and keep you informed about the Primary Voice Group and its work and we will ask for your consent for this.
How is the information collected?
We will collect information:
- when you complete any forms either electronically or a paper copy
- in meetings with you, and your child/young person
- by post, email and phone conversations as appropriate
When we ask you for your information, we will:
- ensure you know why we need it
- only ask for what is necessary for the work we are undertaking
- ensure access is only given to authorised staff on a need to know basis
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- inform us of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the information we hold about you/your child
What information do we collect?
We may collect and use the following information:
- personal information (including name, date of birth and contact details)
- characteristics (including gender, language and ethnicity)
- details of any special educational needs for children
- where appropriate, relevant medical information for children or parent /carers
- where appropriate, relevant information regarding your/your child’s status as a child/young person in care
- any additional personal information (including the name/contact details of the parent/carer) that is necessary for us to gain appropriate consent and to keep you informed about the project
- your opinions, comments, suggestions and feedback
What will we do with the information?
We will use your information to:
- measure whether our services are improving life for children, young people and families
- help us develop and improve our services
- contact you and keep you informed with the work of the Primary Voice Group if you have asked us to do that
We are working with Humber and North Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership as appropriate to support the work of the Primary Voice Group. We have an agreement in place with them and you can find the Humber and North Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership privacy notice details online.
We are using the information you give us with your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at:City of York Council,
Or you can contact us by email: email@example.com.
The information we collect will be included in presentations, statistics and reports. Any presentations, reports and statistics for publication or use outside of the authorised council staff, will be anonymised and cannot be linked back to you, your family or individuals. Reports containing anonymous information may also be shared with the general public and other organisations.
If we use Survey Monkey, you can find out how they use your information through the Survey Monkey privacy notice.
If you complete a paper survey, once you complete and return it to us, we will transfer the information you have given us onto the council’s secure network and then destroy confidentially the paper copy.
We will not use the information for any other purpose than set out in this privacy notice and will not disclose to a third party, for example, other companies or individuals, unless we are required to do so by law for the prevention of crime and detection of fraud, or, in some circumstances, when we feel that you or others are at risk.
Storage of information
We will keep the information you give us in City of York Council’s secure network drive and make sure it can only be accessed by authorised staff.
How long will we keep the information?
We will keep the information you give us for up to four years and then will securely and confidentially destroy it.
Where required or appropriate, at the end of the retention period we will pass onto the City Archives any relevant information.
If we wish to use your personal information for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, we will provide you with a new notice explaining the purpose prior to commencing the processing and the processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your consent prior to the new processing.
To find out about your rights under Data Protection law, you can go to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).
You can also find information about your rights online.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, want to exercise your rights, or if you have a complaint about how your information has been used, please contact us.
- Website terms and disclaimer
- Data Protection Policy Statement
- Accessibility statement
- Cookies policy
- Copyright statement