We provide support for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs) and schools as part of the statutory Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) induction process.
We also provide independent quality assurance for the NQT induction process as part of our role as an 'Appropriate Body'.
- schools provide adequate support for NQTs
- NQT assessment is fair and consistent
We send enrolment forms to schools to register us as their 'Appropriate Body'. Alternatively, see useful downloads for NQT Induction Providers.
Note: NQTs cannot start their induction until their ‘Appropriate Body’ is agreed.
Our NQT Support Service
Our service offers:
- support throughout the induction programme
- guidance on the statutory induction process
- free support and training for Induction Tutors
- Induction Tutor updates
- in-school support from the local authority Lead Induction Tutor
- administration, support and guidance
- reminders of when each assessment is due
- welcome meetings for all NQTs
Cost of our NQT Support Service
The cost of our service for 2020-21 is £100.00 per NQT. This is a flat rate applicable from September 2020.
Welcome meetings and Induction Tutor and Mentor meetings are offered free of charge through the Pathfinder package.
Schools that do not register NQTs with us as their ‘Appropriate Body’, or opt out of NQT induction training can still access:
- NQT welcome meetings
- Induction Tutor updates
Change to NQT's contract or hours
Notify us if an NQT’s contract or hours have changed since the last induction period, so that we can calculate revised deadlines. This information is essential for our records and for planning purposes.
Submit all forms by email to email@example.com. If you've submitted forms electronically, you don't need to send them again by post, unless they can't be signed with an e-signature.
If you're sending forms by post:
- notify us by email
- send to our School Effectiveness and Achievement Assistant at West Offices
- mark all envelopes as 'confidential'
- indicate that NQT assessment forms are enclosed
Newly Qualified Teacher induction training
See the Pathfinder website for details of the comprehensive training programme for NQTs for 2020-21.
See information about changes to NQT inductions due to COVID-19.
Concerns about an NQT's performance
Notify the Appropriate Body as soon as possible if you've any concerns regarding an NQT’s performance.
If an induction extension is required, this must also be agreed with your Appropriate Body.
Please be aware that in line with the DfE NQT Statutory Guidance para 2.57 we will release assessment forms to the new school and Appropriate Body in the event of an NQT moving schools mid-induction if required. It is essential that only staff involved in the induction process have access to the documentation.
Newly Qualified Teacher documents
Submit forms for the current academic year, even if the NQT is completing induction across two academic years.
For example, if an NQT started induction in 2019 to 2020, you must complete the 2020 to 2021 forms now, stating full dates (dd/mm/yy) on ALL forms - this is a requirement of the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA).
We'll accept assessment forms for 2020-21 as follows:
- 7 December 2020 to 15 January 2021
- 15 March to 23 April 2021
- 9 July to 23 July 2021
Contact us if you're outside the City of York area and these dates are not convenient due to different term dates.
Useful downloads for NQT Induction Providers
2020-21 NQT downloads
- First and second assessment form 2020-21 (including Teacher Standards)
- Final assessment form 2020-21 (including Teacher Standards)
- First and second assessment form 2020-21 (excluding Teacher Standards)
- Final assessment form 2020-21 (excluding Teacher Standards)
- Appropriate Body registration form 2020-21 (City of York Council)
- Appropriate Body registration form 2020-21 (external)