City of York Council (CYC) complies with the UK’s data protection and privacy legislation and is a registered ‘Controller’. Our data protection notification is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – reference Z5809563.
We created this privacy notice in March 2022 and it will be regularly reviewed.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy and transparency information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
- Personal data
- Using personal data
- Our legal basis for using personal data
- Sharing personal data
- Retaining personal data
- Further processing of personal data
- Your rights relating to personal data
The amount and type of information the council uses for the purposes of processing the council tax rebate to eligible households will include your:
- bank or building society details
- council tax account number
In some circumstances, we may need more information for example your income and a financial statement to asses any discretionary application.
See further details about how we define personal data and non-personal data.
Using personal data
When using your personal data we will:
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- ensure you know if you have a choice about giving us information
- only share your personal information with other City Of York Council departments or with external partners, agencies and contractors involved in delivering this service on our behalf
- make sure we don’t keep it for longer than is necessary and when we no longer have a need to keep it, we will delete or destroy it securely
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the information we hold about you
Our legal basis for using personal data
The council collects and uses your personal information as set out in this privacy notice for the council tax rebate, as it is “necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller”.
Sharing personal data
We must protect public funds and may use personal information and data-matching techniques to detect and prevent fraud, collect taxes and ensure public money is targeted and spent in the most appropriate and cost-effective way. To do this, your information may be shared with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for example:
- Public Sector Audit Appointments Ltd, National Audit Office, Financial Reporting Council and Cabinet Office in April 2015
- Department for Work and Pensions
- other local authorities
- HM Revenue and Customs
- Datatank for the purpose of reviewing Single Occupancy Discounts
The information we process may be included in reports and returns to central government where required.
Any information for publication or use outside of the council staff who need to use it to process your application, will be anonymised and will not identify any individuals.
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection and privacy legislation to disclose your personal information without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions and court proceedings
- where we have good reason to believe that failing to do so, would put you or someone else at risk
Retaining personal data
We will only keep your personal information for as long as is necessary and then we will delete or destroy it securely.
At the end of the retention period, we may pass any relevant information to the City Archives where it is required or appropriate to do so.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
Your rights relating to personal data
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.
To find out about your rights under data protection law, you can go to the Information Commissioners Office website.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, want to exercise your rights, or if you have a complaint about how your information has been used, please contact us on email: email@example.com, or on telephone: 01904 554145, or write to:
Data Protection Officer
City of York Council
- Website terms and disclaimer
- Data Protection Policy Statement
- Accessibility statement
- Cookies policy
- Copyright statement