We keep the Corporate Finance and Commercial Procurement Privacy Notice under review. It was last reviewed and updated in January 2019.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the Privacy and transparency information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
The personal data we collect can include your:
- date of birth
- postal address
- telephone contact numbers
- email address
- National Insurance number
- bank details
See further details about how we define personal data and non-personal data.
Using personal data
We collect your personal data for the purpose of:
- processing insurance claims
- dealing with pensions queries
- processing VAT claims
- processing payments to individuals
- procurement card administration and recording transactions on the finance ledger
- providing financial management information
- publishing details of payments made to suppliers in line with requirements of the Transparency Code 2015
We'll only use your personal information in accordance with data protection legislation, and for the purposes stated in this Privacy Notice.
See further details about how we use your personal data.
Sharing personal data
- protect your personal data and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- ensure you know if you have a choice about giving us information
- only share your personal information with other City of York Council departments or with external partners, agencies and contractors involved in delivering services on our behalf
We act in line with data protection legislation and don't disclose or share sensitive or confidential information without your explicit consent except where disclosure is required by law.
We may share or disclose your data to any of the following as may be necessary for the financial administration of the Council in line with statutory obligations and/or to comply with contractual obligations:
- service providers, professional advisers and auditors
- Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs
- past and present insurance providers, brokers, claims handlers, solicitors and barristers
- North Yorkshire Pension Fund
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
We must protect public funds and may use personal data and data-matching techniques to detect and prevent fraud, collect taxes and ensure public money is targeted and spent in the most appropriate and cost-effective way. To do this, your personal data may be shared with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, including the Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenue and Customs, the Police and other local authorities.
Retaining personal data
- make sure we don’t keep your personal data for longer than is necessary
- delete or destroy it securely when we no longer have a need to keep it
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
See further details about the further processing of personal data.
Personal data in Emails
Emails that we send to you or you send to us, may be retained as a record of contact and your email address stored for future use in accordance with our record retention schedules.
If we need to email sensitive or confidential information to you, we may perform checks to verify the correct email address and may take additional security measures.
See further details about how we process any of your personal data contained within emails.
Your rights relating to personal data
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.