Visitor parking permits for proof of residency permit holders
You can use your proof of residency permit to buy visitor permits to use in residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zones.
Visitor permits issued to proof of residency permit holders are digital.
Each visitor permit is valid for 1 day, and lasts from the time it is validated until 10.00am the next day.
- Eligibility for proof of residency permits
- Using visitor parking permits
- Cost of visitor parking permits
- Apply for visitor parking permits
- Renew your proof of residency permit
- Change of address or permit cancellation
Eligibility for proof of residency permits
To qualify for a proof of residency parking permits:
- your residency must be located within a ResPark zone
- your residency must not be located within a special control parking zone
- you must be residing in the property
- you must pay council tax directly to the council
Using visitor parking permits
As visitor permits issued to proof of residency permit holders are digital, there is no requirement for the user to display a permit in the vehicle.
The permit can't be used in conjunction with any business activities relating to the registered address and can only be used by the permit holder, or a friend or family member visiting the property where the permit is registered
Map of ResPark zones
Use the map search bar to search by postcode or street name to see if the property you're visiting is in a ResPark zone; click an individual zone to see more details.
Cost of visitor parking permits
Authorisation cards are free of charge, and visitor permits are discounted, if you're:
- over 60 years old
- a blue disabled badge holder
- on the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- registered blind
- in receipt of Income Support
- in receipt of long-term Incapacity Benefit
Discounts are also available if you're claiming a level of Universal Credit that meets any of the following criteria:
- if you're not working, you (and your partner's) total income is no more than your maximum Universal Credit award entitlement
- your award includes a child amount and, if you (or your partner) work, your monthly earnings are no more than £935.00
- you (or your partner) have limited capability for work and, if you (or your partner) work, your monthly earnings are no more than £935.00
- the award doesn't include a child amount, you (or your partner) don't have a limited capability for work and, if you (or your partner) work, your monthly earnings are no more than £435.00
It is your responsibility to:
- provide evidence that you're entitled to a discount, when you apply for a proof of residency permit or for visitor parking permits
- tell us if your circumstances change
See details of the cost of visitor parking permits.
Apply for visitor parking permits
Residents need a proof of residency permit before buying digital permits for visitors to use in their ResPark zone.
If you've not already done so, you'll need to create an account by registering your details in the Permit Portal.
You should register as Customer Type: Resident.
You will need a
- valid email address
- copy of your current council tax demand notice, if you don't wish for your council tax details to be checked automatically.
Each household with the relevant parking permit or authorisation card is entitled to an annual allocation of 200 daily visitor permits.
We use your authorisation card number to check how many visitor permits you've been issued.
Once your account is set up, you will be able to apply for any permits which are available for your address.
You will be required to pay for your permit with a bank card at the time of application.
Renew your proof of residency permit
We'll contact you 6 weeks before your permit expires, advising you to renew your permit through your Permit Portal account. You'll then have the option of renewing your permit if a permit is still required.
You'll be able to renew your permit from the day after the advised expiry date.
For example, if your permit expires on 1 January, you'll be able to request a renewal from 2 January.
If you're renewing a discounted proof of residency permit you will be expected to provide recent evidence of your eligibility to receive the associated discount.
If your permit is not discounted you will not have to provide any further evidence, but you will be required to make a declaration confirming your details remain the same.
Change of address or permit cancellation
If you change your address you must update this through your Permit Portal account.
A change of address will result in any current permits being cancelled, as your permits are associated with your address.
If you require a new parking permit at your new address, you'll need make a new application through your Permit Portal account once your address has been updated.
You can cancel your proof of residency permit at any time through your Permit Portal account. You'll receive an email confirming the cancellation.
Once issued, visitor parking permits cannot be cancelled and the fee is non-refundable.
West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA