Visitor parking permits for authorisation card holders
You can use your authorisation card to buy visitor permits to use in residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zones.
Visitor permits issued to authorisation card holders are single use scratch cards.
Each visitor permit is valid for 1 day, and lasts from the time it's placed in a vehicle until 10.00am the next day.
Authorisation cards were previously issued to residents:
- for free - with a household parking permit or House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) parking permit
- to buy - for households with no cars, for use by visitors wanting to park nearby
Residents with a current authorisation card issued before September 2021 can still buy permits for visitors to use in their ResPark zone.
- Eligibility for proof of residency permits
- Using visitor parking permits
- Cost of visitor parking permits
- Apply for visitor parking permits
- Renew your authorisation card
- Visitor parking permit cancellation
Eligibility for proof of residency permits
To qualify for a proof of residency parking permits:
- your residency must be located within a ResPark zone
- your residency must not be located within a special control parking zone
- you must be residing in the property
- you must pay council tax directly to the council
Using visitor parking permits
Visitor permits must be displayed in the windscreen of visitors' vehicles at all times whilst they're parked in the ResPark zone.
The permit can't be used in conjunction with any business activities relating to the registered address and can only be used by the permit holder, or a friend or family member visiting the property where the permit is registered
Map of ResPark zones
Use the map search bar to search by postcode or street name to see if the property you're visiting is in a ResPark zone; click an individual zone to see more details.
Cost of visitor parking permits
Authorisation cards are free of charge, and visitor permits are discounted, if you're:
- over 60 years old
- a blue disabled badge holder
- on the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- registered blind
- in receipt of Income Support
- in receipt of long-term Incapacity Benefit
Discounts are also available if you're claiming a level of Universal Credit that meets any of the following criteria:
- if you're not working, you (and your partner's) total income is no more than your maximum Universal Credit award entitlement
- your award includes a child amount and, if you (or your partner) work, your monthly earnings are no more than £935.00
- you (or your partner) have limited capability for work and, if you (or your partner) work, your monthly earnings are no more than £935.00
- the award doesn't include a child amount, you (or your partner) don't have a limited capability for work and, if you (or your partner) work, your monthly earnings are no more than £435.00
It is your responsibility to:
- provide evidence that you're entitled to a discount, when you apply for visitor parking permits
- tell us if your circumstances change
See details of the cost of visitor parking permits.
Apply for visitor parking permits
Using this form, you'll be able to buy up to 12 books in a single transaction.
We use your authorisation card number to check how many visitor permits you've been issued.
Allow sufficient time for permits to be processed and delivered by first class post; we suggest you allow 5 working days ahead of when permits are needed.
Renew your authorisation card
We'll contact you 6 weeks before your authorisation card expires, advising you to renew your permit through your Permit Portal account.
If visitor parking permits are stil required for your address, you'll need to apply for a proof of residency permit (the digital replacement for authorisation cards) through the digital Permit Portal.
You'll be able to purchase your proof of residency permit from the day after the authorisation card expiry date.
For example, if your authorisation card expires on 1 January, you'll be able to request a proof of residency permit from 2 January.
If you're renewing a discounted authorisation card you will be expected to provide recent evidence of your eligibility to receive the associated discount.
If your permit is not discounted you will not have to provide any further evidence, but you will be required to make a declaration confirming your details remain the same.
Visitor parking permit cancellation
Once issued, visitor parking permits cannot be cancelled and the fee is non-refundable.
West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA