City of York Council education leaders have praised the work and commitment of students across the city who have received their GCSE results today (Thursday 20 August).
This year’s results were based on teachers’ appraisal of their students work rather than formal examinations because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Cllr Ian Cuthbertson, the council’s Executive Member for Children, Young people and Education, said: “I’d like to congratulate all the students receiving their key stage 4 results today. I know it has been an incredibly challenging time for them, with such unprecedented changes to their academic year. Their hard work and dedication, together with the support of their parents, carers and teaching staff, will help them to move forward with the next stages of their learning and life journeys. I wish them all the very best of luck.”
Maxine Squire, Assistant Director for Education, Skills and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, at City of York Council, said: “Key stage 4 results day underlines not only the hard work of our young people, but also the commitment and professionalism of the city’s teachers. I’d like to thank all those involved in supporting students of all ages throughout the challenging last few months.”
For anyone who didn't get the results they were hoping for, support is available across the city, for people who may be seeking an apprenticeship or other employment opportunity or for those wanting to move into full-time education. Young people who are concerned that their personal circumstances may make accessing education, employment or training more difficult could also benefit from advice.
People can find support in York from:
- Their school. Teaching staff will be able to support pupils with their next steps.
- Careers Advisers employed by our schools
- Admissions teams at York College and Askham Bryan College
- City of York Council Learning and Work Advisers in our Young People’s Service at 30 Clarence Street; pre booked appointment slots are available and advisers can support with searching for vacancies, developing your CV, completing applications and preparing for interviews. Tel: 01904 555400
- National Careers Service – for local employment and training opportunities; or call the national help-line 0800 100 900
- Council-led ‘York Apprenticeship Hub’ – find us on Facebook @ York Apprenticeships; email us at York.email@example.com; www.york.gov.uk/yorkapprenticeships for local apprenticeship vacancies. There are still around 50 opportunities in the city and many more in Leeds across a range of sectors and job roles and we can sign post you to agencies and training providers.
Advice is also available online through a handy ‘next steps’ factsheet for A Level or GCSE students, which explains many of the options available, including apprenticeships and further learning https://www.york.gov.uk/LBYSupportForParents#facts
The council is running and live Facebook Q&A on Tuesday 25 August from 5pm-6pm live at facebook/CityofYork or watch it back on www.york.gov.uk/asktheleaders to help answer questions on next step options for students aged 16-25. The expert panel will include representatives from York College, York sixth forms, York Apprenticeship Hub, Jobcentre Plus, UniConnect and a Learning and Work Adviser.
Support is also available for anyone who is particularly worried about their results and next steps.
Kooth is a free, online counselling and emotional wellbeing platform for young people aged 11 to 18 (you can use Kooth until you turn 19 yrs old).
The Kooth website allows young people to gain anonymous access to advice, support and guidance on any issue that is affecting their wellbeing. From friendship or relationship issues, family disagreements or difficult home lives, to concerns around eating, anxiety, stress, depression, self harm, suicidal thoughts etc.
Their qualified counsellors can give young people the support they need, when they need it. Kooth.com’s live chat service is available from Monday to Friday 12 noon - 10pm, Saturdays and Sundays 6pm - 10pm and is accessible through mobile, tablet and desktop. completely free of charge.