The 9th York Sports Awards ceremony held at the Roger Kirk Centre at the University of York, saw 46 awards handed out to athletes, coaches, volunteers and administrators across the city.
Olympic shot putter Scott Lincoln and Paralympian Boccia athlete Beth Moulam were awarded Sportsman and Disability Sportsperson of the year at the prestigious event. Rower Lucy Edmunds, Great Britain under 23 rower, was recognised as Sportswoman of the year.
York City Knights Ladies were the big team winners, scoring the Performance Team/Club of the year with their coach Lindsay Anfield who was also voted Coach of the Year.
Volunteer of the Year award was given to Georgia Briggs for her work at University of York Rugby Union Club.
York City Football Club Foundation’s “Lifting Spirits” Initiative was voted the leading “Wellbeing Project /Event of the Year” for the Foundation’s work in supporting vulnerable and older people through sport.
A special “Community Champion” Award was presented to GoGet York a project making cycling and other outdoor activities accessible for all.
The “Outstanding Service to Sport” Award, in association with City of York Council, was won by Yvette Shepherd for her dedication to York RI AFC.
Councillor Darryl Smalley, Executive member for Culture Leisure and Communities at City of York Council, said:
It was a delight to be able to attend the first York Sports Awards since 2019 and to recognise the sporting achievements at every level of sport in the city, from schools to Olympians and, in particular, the unsung heroes who give up so much time to support sport across the city.
"The awards have been a wonderful reminder of the fantastic array of sport for all to enjoy in York."
“Congratulations to all winners as well as those nominated for their great achievements!”
Keith Morris, chair of Active York which delivered the event, said:
It’s been a very difficult period for sport in the city. It was a real pleasure to be able to host this celebration of sport across our great city.
"We look forward to making this a major event in the sports calendar."
“The 2022 York Sports Awards could not have taken place without the involvement of sponsors, and I would like to thank City of York Council, Better, University of York, Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate, York City Football Club Foundation, York City Knights, York Sport, Navigation Agency, North Yorkshire Sport and Rugby League World Cup 21 for their support.”
Here is the full list of the awards winners:
Young Achievers - Sponsored by Better
Young Female Sportsperson
- Winner: Paris Smith
- Highly Commended: Hannah Langford and Freya Vidal
Young Male Sportsperson
- Winner: Maks Makowski
- Highly Commended: Tom Moss and Freddie Tomlinson
Young Disability Sportsperson
- Winner: Matthew Brough
- Highly Commended: Charlie Dickinson
Active Primary School - sponsored by York Sport
- Winner: St Wilfrid's RC Primary School
- Highly Commended: Acomb Primary School and Clifton Green Primary School
Active Secondary School - Sponsor Active York
- Winner: Manor CE Academy
- Highly Commended: St Peter’s School Hockey Team
Senior Achievers - Sponsored by Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate
- Winner: Lucy Edmunds
- Highly Commended: Anna Docherty and Lorraine Pearey
- Winner: Scott Lincoln
- Highly Commended: Alex Botterill and Will Jeffrey
- Winner: Beth Moulam
- Highly Commended: Harry Patient and Lydia Wrightson
- Winner: Will Jeffrey
- Highly Commended: Cameron Campbell and Beth Moulam
Participation Team/Club - Sponsored by York City Knights
- Winner: York RI Templars
- Highly Commended: City of York Athletics Club, and University of York Boat Club
Performance Team/Club - sponsored by City of York Council
- Winner: York City Knights Ladies
- Highly Commended: York City Ladies Football Club
Outstanding Contribution - Sponsored by City of York Council
- Winner: Yvette Shepherd
- Highly Commended: Kirsty Parr and Andy Snell
Coach - sponsored by North Yorkshire Sport
- Winner: Lindsay Anfield
- Highly Commended: Erin Dominguez and James Fitton
Volunteer - sponsored by York City Football Club Foundation
- Winner: Georgia Briggs
- Highly Commended: Lily Rowntree and Sofia Spongano
Active Workplace - Sponsored by Navigation Agency
- Winner: University of York
Wellbeing Engagement Project/Event - Sponsored by RLWC21
- Winner: York City Football Club Foundation - Lifting Spirits Project
- Highly Commended: City of York Hockey Club - Back to Hockey Project, and York Bike Belles - Cycling Without Age Project
Community Champion of the Year - Sponsored by University of York
- Winner: GoGet York
- Highly Commended: City of York Hockey Club, and York Sport at the University of York Fitness and Swimming Teams