York's city centre is surrounded by historic walls, which are accessible on foot throughout the year.
- location of the walls
- how to access the walls
- maps and pictures
Dogs are not allowed on the City Walls, except for assistance dogs.
Map of the City Walls
Opening times for the City Walls
The City Wall access gates are opened daily at 8.00am.
If any part of the City Walls is not open at the usual times, we'll make announcements through social media:
Or you can check in person on the day of your visit at Visit York, 1 Museum Street, York, YO1 7DT.
Closing times for the City Walls
The City Wall access gates are closed at dusk.
Gates are closed in an anti-clockwise direction, starting from Fishergate Bar. The process of locking the gates takes about 1 hour to complete, starting at the following times throughout the year:
- January: 3.30pm
- February: 4.30pm
- March: (up to the clocks changing): 5.30pm
- March: (after clocks have changed) and April: 7.30pm
- May: 8.00pm
- June and July: 9.00pm
- August: 8.00pm
- September (start to mid): 7.00pm
- September (mid to end): 6.00pm
- October (up to the clocks changing): 5.00pm
- October (after clocks have changed): 3.30pm
- November and December: 3.30pm
The walls are closed:
- on 25 December
- in icy or slippery conditions
In cold weather the walls are inspected at 7.00am; a second inspection may then be carried out at 11.00am.
We will open the walls if it's safe to do so.