York's city centre is surrounded by historic walls, which are accessible on foot throughout the year.
- location of the walls
- how to access the walls
- maps and pictures
Dogs are not allowed on the City Walls, except for assistance dogs.
Map of the City Walls
Opening times for the City Walls
The City Wall access gates are opened daily at 8.00am and closed at dusk (see closing times for the City Walls).
The walls are closed:
- on 25 December
- in icy or slippery conditions
In cold weather the walls are inspected at 7.00am. A second inspection may then be carried out at 11.00am.
We will open the walls if it is safe to do so.
Closing times for the City Walls
The City Wall access gates are closed at dusk.
We travel in an anti-clockwise direction, starting from Fishergate Bar, locking the access gates as we pass.
The process of closing the gates takes about 1 hour to complete, starting at the following times throughout the year:
- January: 3.30pm
- February: 4.30pm
- March: (up to the clocks changing): 5.30pm
- March: (after clocks have changed) and April: 7.30pm
- May: 8.00pm
- June and July: 9.00pm
- August: 8.00pm
- September (start to mid): 7.00pm
- September (mid to end): 6.00pm
- October (up to the clocks changing): 5.00pm
- October (after clocks have changed): 3.30pm
- November and December: 3.30pm
Planning your visit
If any part of the City Walls is not open at the usual times, we will make announcements through social media. Or you can check in person on the day of your visit at the visitor information centre, Visit York.
- City of York Council Twitter
- City of York Council Facebook
- Visit York (1 Museum Street, York, YO1 7DT)