Our vision of York is to be;
A place where people feel safe, where risk is understood and well managed, where we know practice is consistently good and we make a difference by improving outcomes for children.
Join Children's Social Care in York
We know social workers strive to do their best for the children and young people they work with, every day. We welcome applications from newly qualified and experienced social workers with a wide range of skills and talents to support our children in achieving the best outcomes.
We understand that social workers deserve an employer that acknowledges the pressures of their role. Our new Social Work Academy offers training and support to newly qualified social workers, and all social worker who are new to York.
We're proud of what our social workers have achieved so far, but we're only at the beginning of this exciting journey. We want you to join our Children's Social Care team, and make a lasting difference to children’s lives in York, each and every day.
Systemic Practice - every conversation starts with the child
We've taken the positive decision to adopt systemic practice as our practice model.
A training plan is being developed which will see all social workers and their managers in York systemically trained by 2023. This training will be extended so that it is available for multi-agency partners to attend to ensure universal understanding of the principles of systemic practice, a joined up approach, consistent language and management of risk.
Our offer to you
Here is a list of the benefits of working for us:
- a competitive salary;
- National Qualification in Social Work (NQSW) (Grade 8) £27,614 to £30,602 per annum - pro rata for part time staff
- Social Worker (SW) (Grade 9) £31,339 to £35,754 per annum - pro rata for part time staff
- relocation allowance subject to qualifying posts
- local government pension scheme
- flexible working
- manageable, monitored caseloads
- regular reflective supervision
- opportunities to learn and develop as a professional with support from Advanced Practitioners
- strong leadership and supportive management, who enable you to thrive and fulfil your potential
- excellent workplace benefits including assistance with travel to work, childcare costs and family friendly policies
- health and wellbeing services
On top of this, you will be working in a vibrant and attractive city, with fantastic cultural and leisure opportunities on your doorstep.
Find out more about working for the council and our current opportunities within Children's Social Care.