COVID-19 tests for international travel
Government restrictions are in place for people intending to travel outside of the UK, and red, amber and green list rules for entering England currently apply to all travellers from different destinations.
The testing provided by City of York Council, whether at a test site or using a home test kit, is not suitable to be used for international travel.
The testing provided by the NHS, whether lateral flow or PCR, is also not suitable for international travel.
Testing for international travel is only available through private providers who must have self-declared that they meet the UK government’s minimum standards for the type of commercial COVID-19 testing service they offer.
See details of private UK PCR test providers on GOV.UK.
Travel restrictions change regularly, and travellers are urged to continuously check the UK Government website to get the most up-to-date information.
You should consider a number of factors when travelling abroad:
- what colour list is the country you are visiting on - red, amber or Green? This will affect what you need to do when you return
- check the foreign travel advice to see entry requirements for the country you are visiting, including whether you need to book tests before leaving the UK to prove your COVID status on arrival
- check whether the country you are visiting accept the NHS COVID Pass
You also need to consider your return journey:
- book tests to take whilst you are abroad, before your return journey to the UK
- book your post-arrival PCR tests (these may be required on day 2 and day 8)
- consider whether you will need to book a quarantine hotel on return to the UK
You must complete a passenger locator form online before you arrive in the UK, even if you are only transiting through the UK. Download Passenger Locator Forms from GOV.UK before you travel.
See further information in the government’s guide to travelling abroad.
Symptom-free testing in York
For general enquiries about symptom-free coronavirus testing in York please email us. If you are unable to book an appointment please visit a testing centre.