The YorWellbeing Exercise Referral Programme uses specialist qualified instructors to help participants safely become more active, through targeted, condition-specific exercises.
Instructors are trained in motivational techniques and behavioural change; they deliver a range of community and gym-based sessions and exercise programmes for the management or prevention of many medical conditions.
The Exercise Referral Programme includes specialist classes for:
- musculo-skeletal conditions
- osteo and rheumatoid arthritis
- cardiac rehabilitation
- neurological conditions
Exercise can help enormously with a wide range of medical and mental health conditions including:
- heart disease
- multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Referrals to the Exercise Referral Programme
Ask your GP or other health professional (for example, a physiotherapist) to refer you to the programme if you think you could benefit from activities tailored to your needs.
Health professionals should:
- read the protocol for referring patients to the Exercise Referral Programme
- complete the Exercise Referral Programme registration form
- complete the YorWellbeing exercise referral form to refer patients - there is an alternative referral form for cancer patients
See a timetable and list of available Exercise Referral Programme classes.
Read the latest issue of the Exercise Referral Programme newsletter.