Pavement cafe licences

Planning permission and a separate highway licence is required before you can place tables and chairs outside your premises on the 'highway'. Other requirements include:

  • planning permission, which must be in place before applying for the highway licence (contact
  • public liability insurance to £5m

Please read the pavement café standard conditions before making your application and refer to the pavement café guidance notes for help completing the form.

Permission for new applicants

Once planning permission is obtained you will need to:

You'll be issued with a temporary highway licence whilst the process is completed. Note that:

  • the highway licence is a legal document
  • it can take several weeks to complete the process

Renewal of your highway licence

You need to renew your highway licence every year. Apply in plenty of time as the process can take up to 6 weeks. Please complete the application form and send it to us with payment. The cost of renewing your licence is £628. A reminder will be sent approximately 6 weeks before the expiry date.

Tacit consent

We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:

  • you cannot assume permission will be given
  • we will contact you within 21 days of receiving your application
  • if you don't hear from us within the 21 days, contact the Traffic Management Team to check the status of your application.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page