Planning permission and a separate Highway Licence are required before you can place tables and chairs outside your premises on the highway.
You should therefore apply for the following:
- planning permission (contact the Planning Team)- this must be in place before you apply for your Highway Licence
- Highway Licence
- public liability insurance to £5m
Permission for new applicants
Once planning permission is obtained you will need to:
- complete and return the Pavement Café application form
- send us your payment of £628
You'll be issued with a Temporary Highway Licence until your application is approved.
- the Highway Licence is a legal document
- it can take several weeks for us to process your application
Renewal of your Highway Licence
You will need to renew your Highway Licence every year - apply in plenty of time as the process can take up to 6 weeks. Please complete the Pavement Café application form and send to us with your payment of £628. We will send you a reminder approximately 6 weeks before your current licence expires.
We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 21 days of receiving your application
- if you don't hear from us within 21 days, contact the Traffic Management Team to check the status of your application