You need permission to place any scaffolding or temporary scaffold towers on the road, footway or grass verge. The scaffolding company is responsible for obtaining the licence and the company must be registered with us.
- scaffold licence application form
- scaffold tower application form
- scaffolding and hoarding licence terms and conditions
We require 5 working days' notice to process an application. If a licence is required urgently, we can arrange permission within 5 days for an extra charge.
Scaffolding licence additional requirements
- if pedestrian access through the scaffold is not possible, a temporary footway must be provided
- if a temporary footway is placed on an adjacent carriageway, you will need to provide traffic management measures
- if a 'drop body' is to be used, then you must apply for an additional skip permit
Costs for scaffolding licences
The company will be charged:
- £91 for 28 days
- £59 for an additional 1 to 28 days
- an additional £36 if 5 days' notice is not given (£127 for the first 28 days in total)
We will issue a 'defect notice' if a hoarding does not meet the standards described in our licence terms and conditions; in these circumstances you must rectify the fault and pay an additional £75.
If we find scaffolding or a scaffolding tower erected on the highway without a licence, we will contact the scaffolding company. They will be required to apply for a licence. We invoice a penalty charge of £97 to the scaffold company for scaffolding found without a permit. The penalty charge is in addition to the cost of a permit.
We invoice the scaffolding company for all costs incurred. They can then pay the invoice online.
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 5 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 5 working days please contact Network Management to check the status of your application