Permission is required to place any scaffolding (including temporary scaffold towers) on the road, footway or grass verge.
Apply for a scaffolding licence
The scaffolding company applies for permission, and must be registered with us.
Complete the scaffold licence application form and send it to Network Management at least five working days before the proposed start date. For a scaffold tower, complete the scaffold tower application form.
Scaffold licence restrictions
- if pedestrian access through the scaffold is not possible, a temporary footway must be provided, including associated traffic management measures
- if a 'drop body' is to be used then you must apply for an additional skip licence
Please refer to the scaffolding and hoarding terms and conditions, or contact Network Management for further information.
We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you about your application within five working days
- if you don't hear from us within five working days please contact Network Management to check the status of your application
Cost of a scaffolding licences
- initial 28 day licence: £89
- every additional 1 to 28 day period: £58 extra
- scaffolding required urgently: £19 extra
Please do not make payments with your application, you will be invoiced for any further charges.
A defect notice will be issued if the scaffolding does not meet the terms and conditions of the licence. If this happens this will incur a charge of £19.