The Working Time Regulations govern:
- how long workers should work during a shift without a break
- how long they should work in any one week
- what rest periods should be taken between days or nights or work
How do we manage this?
- City of York Council (CYC) records and monitors the working hours of individual employees (using a period of 17 weeks as the reference period)
- unless an individual has signed an opt out agreement CYC will ensure that workers do not exceed the maximum working time as defined in the Working Time Regulations
- where an individual has signed an opt out agreement CYC will ensure that the individual does not work excessive hours
- where an employee has more than one contract with CYC or a second job with another employer the Working Time Regulations still apply and therefore all hours worked by the individual worker are considered in determining the hours worked
- employees must notify their manager if they have more than one contract with CYC or a second job with another employer
Find out more
The HSE also offer guidance.