What is this?
The Working Time Regulations govern:
- How long workers should work during a shift without a break
- How long they should work in any one week
- What rest periods should be taken between days or nights or work
How do we manage this?
- CYC records and monitors the working hours of individual employees (using a period of 17 weeks as the reference period)
- Unless an individual has signed an opt out agreement CYC will ensure that workers do not exceed the maximum working time as defined in the Working Time Regulations
- Where an individual has signed an opt out agreement CYC will ensure that the individual does not work excessive hours
- Where an employee has more than one contract with CYC or a second job with another employer the Working Time Regulations still apply and therefore all hours worked by the individual worker are considered in determining the hours worked
- Employees must notify their manager if they have more than one contract with CYC or a second job with another employer
Find out more
Please read the compliance note in the Download section for further information on how to ensure workers' hours meet legal requirements.
The HSE also offer guidance.