If you're a student living in York you can apply online for a student discount or exemption.
To be able to qualify for the council tax student exemption you must be a full-time student.
To complete this form you will need:
- address of the property including postcode
- landlord name and phone number or email address
- landlord or letting agent contact address
- name, date of birth and phone or email address for each occupant of the property
- name of educational establishment for each student occupant
- course title, start date and end date for each student occupant
- unique student ID provided by your college or university for each student occupant (also referred to as your 'student matriculation number')
- move-in date for each occupant
- previous address for each occupant, if in the York area
We cannot take details of a move into your new property more than 14 days in advance.
We begin the student council tax discount and exemption process as soon as we receive your application.
As an alternative to the online form, you can download a student council tax exemption and discount application form and return it to the Council Tax Team.
- For a property to be fully exempt from Council Tax, each student in the house must register for council tax and apply for student exemption
- It is not necessary to fill out separate forms for each student, the online and paper forms allow spaces for all occupants at the property
- We'd prefer one application per property as information arriving separately might complicate or slow down the process
- If you have applied for, or are receiving a student discount or exemption you must inform us if you have a change of circumstances
Studying within York
If you study at one of the following educational establishments, they supply a list of those enrolled to study:
We will check the details provided on your form against the lists provided by these establishments. We will notify you if there are any further requirements.
Studying outside of York
If you are a full-time student living in York, but studying at a college or university outside of York, you can still use the online form.
However, in order for us to be able to process your application you must also provide:
- a student council tax exemption and discount application form
- student exemption certificate, which can be obtained from your academic registrar
Return these items to the Council Tax Team, along with the reference from your online form if you submitted one.
Properties occupied by both students and non-students
The full council tax charge is based on two liable people living in a property. If a property is occupied only by full-time students, then a full exemption will be applicable.
Properties occupied by a mix of students and non-students may still be eligible for a discount, dependent on the circumstances at the property.
Contact the Council Tax Team to check what discounts are available and how to apply for them.