If you're a student registered for council tax at a property in York you can apply online for a student discount or exemption.

To be able to qualify for the council tax student exemption you must be a full-time student.

In most cases, we offer students a council tax exemption from the start date of their tenancy, not from the start date of their course. If you wish to claim a student exemption from the start date of your tenancy, you will need to use your 'tenancy start date' also as your 'move in date' and your 'course start date' when completing our on-line form.

If you do not wish to maximise your exemption, you can use your actual move in date and course start dates, and we will issue you with a bill for the period before your course begins.

We carry out eligibility checks every November with student lists provided by University of York, York St John University, Askham Bryan College and York College.

If you do not study at one of these educational establishments, you will need to send us your student exemption certificate within 30 days of your application to avoid cancellation of your exemption. If we cannot verify your student status, we will remove your exemption and issue you with a new bill.

apply for student exemption

To complete this form you will need:

  • address of the property including postcode
  • landlord or letting agent name and phone number or email address
  • landlord or letting agent contact address
  • name, date of birth and phone or email address for all occupants of the property
  • name of educational establishment for each student occupant
  • course title, start date and end date for each student occupant
  • unique student ID provided by your college or university for each student occupant (also referred to as your 'student matriculation number')
  • tenancy start date for each occupant
  • previous address for each occupant, if in the York area

Alternatively, download a student council tax exemption and discount application form and return it to the Council Tax Team.

We begin the student council tax discount and exemption process as soon as we receive your application.

  • for a property to be fully exempt from Council Tax, each student in the house must be registered for council tax and apply for student exemption
  • we cannot take details of a move in to your new property more than 14 days in advance
  • it is not necessary to fill out separate forms for each student, the online and paper forms allow spaces for all occupants at the property
  • we'd prefer one application per property as information arriving separately might complicate or slow down the process
  • if you have applied for, or are receiving a student discount or exemption you must inform us if you have a change of circumstances

Studying within York

If you study at one of the following educational establishments, they supply a list of those enrolled to study:

We will check the details provided on your form against the lists provided by these establishments. We will notify you if there are any further requirements.

Studying outside of York

If you are a full-time student living in York, but studying at a college or university outside of York, you can still use the online form.

However, in order for us to be able to process your application you must also provide:

Return these items to the Council Tax Team, along with the reference from your online form if you submitted one.

Properties occupied by both students and non-students

The full council tax charge is based on two liable people living in a property. If a property is occupied only by full-time students, then a full exemption will be applicable.

Properties occupied by a mix of students and non-students may still be eligible for a discount, dependent on the circumstances at the property.

Contact the Council Tax Team to check what discounts are available and how to apply for them.

Also see

Comment on this page