We're committed to carrying out our regulatory activities in a way that supports compliance.
Wherever possible we'll work with your business to prevent problems occurring.
Get tailored advice by telephone or email to deal with (the majority of) regulation breaches informally - see fees and charges for:
- Health and Safety, Trading Standards and food safety services
- Housing Standards and Adaptations
Trading Standards Enforcement Policy
Our Public Protection, Housing, and Community Safety Services Enforcement Policy gives details of:
- action we'll take when businesses break the law
- circumstances where formal enforcement action is considered
- the type of action we may take (including prosecution and court orders)
- our approach to providing information, guidance and advice
- how we check for compliance, and deal with non-compliance
The National Trading Standards Yorkshire and the Humber Regional Investigations Team and the National Trading Standards e-Crime Team have their own policy, see National Trading Standards RIT and eCrime Enforcement Policy.
Housing Civil Penalty Policy
Our Housing Civil Penalty Policy also gives us powers related to housing and planning, so we can use civil penalties as an alternative to prosecution, for a range of offences under the Housing Act 2004.
Appeal a regulatory decision
Contact the appropriate service manager if you disagree with a decision we've made as part of our regulatory activities:
- Anthony Dean - Public Protection, Investigations and Compliance
- Mike Southcombe - Public Protection, Regulatory Support and Advice
- Lesley Cooke - Licensing
- Ruth Abbott - Housing Standards and Adaptations
They'll try to resolve the situation, and advise you about how you can appeal.
Feedback on regulatory services
We base our regulatory activity on risk, intelligence, complaints and other information, to allocate our resources where they're most effective. We also share information about compliance and risk with other regulators where possible, and ensure our approach is transparent.
We publish details about our enforcement activity in an annual report to members (see item 12).
We also survey our customers to ensure our advice is clear. Use our 'Have your say' online form to provide your feedback about our reglatory activities and enforcement policies.
Our latest feedback shows:
- 96.8% of business customers thought their contact with Public Protection's Officers was helpful
- 80.6% of all Public Protection's customers were satisfied with the overall level of service provided